The level of busy in the studio during the summer months is usually dependent on one thing. The Dragon Con Art Show. Am I in the show? Yes. This means June, July and August are all about making art for show, prepping prints, framing art and preparing for the panel I'll present. It's busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. There's a large percentage of art already set and ready for the show, but I also have a few pieces I want to finish to bring. The Dragon Con Art Show is one of the largest shows in the south for Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror Art. And the attendees come to buy the art!
Here's a peek at my Summer Agenda:
1. I'll be delving into my Earth Rituals series. For the last few months I've been developing ideas centered around the idea of reconnecting with the earth. It's a blend of nature and myth, with a little magic thrown into the mix. In many ways, it's a culmination of my passions all coming together for the first time.
The image on the right is a crop from the figure for my current work in progress, Forest Dreams. I'll be bringing the finished painting to Dragon Con as a framed canvas print, limited edition 1/1 (meaning this is the only canvas print in existence). I'll have a couple other limited canvas prints in my gallery this year.
2. I'll also be working on some original graphite and watercolor paintings for the Art Show. These will connected to my Earth Rituals series, but not a direct part of the series. Examples: Magical Skulls, Magical Animals, Magical Items... You see the theme here.
3. I'm once again giving a presentation for the Art Show Programming. This year I'm going to take attendees through my digital painting process. There really is no right or wrong when it comes to digital painting. Every artist has their own process. I have an outline for my presentation, now I need create my Powerpoint and refine my thoughts. Here's the description for my panel:
The panel, titled Digital Painting: From Sketch to Finish, will be held on Monday 9/5 at 2:30 p.m. in Grand Hall C of the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
Other Summer Obligations
1. I'm a member of the Changeling Artist Collective, founded by Rachel Quinlan. Our first auction is underway now! This month's auction was themed Bugs & Beasties. Below is one of two pieces I have in the auction. You can see all the available art here: http://tinyurl.com/bugs-beasties
2. The Bird Whisperer Project, created by Melissa Gay and I, is still going strong. We post each month, around the middle of the month, on Facebook. We now have a third member, Erica Lyn Schmidt! Here's my offering from June:
It's shaping up to be a busy summer. See you on the other side!